There are several ways to get to Macau from Hong Kong, but a convenient and affordable option is to go by Macau Ferry which takes about 50 minutes. In this post you will find all the information you need to know and consider if you want to go from Hong Kong to Macau and some travel tips for your stay in Macau. This is how I did when I went to Macau from Hong Kong over a day.
HOW TO TRAVEL FROM HONG KONG TO MACAU
When I went to Macau from Hong Kong, I took the metro to the “Central station” and then followed the signs to the ferry terminal, where the boats go to Macau. There are many different ferry companies and for those who are not used to it, it may look like a jungle at the first moment, but I’ll help you figure it out. This is how I did when I went to Macau from Hong Kong over a day:
HONG KONG TO MACAU FERRY / MACAU TO HONG KONG FERRY
- There are 2 ferry terminals in Macau: Macau Taipa Ferry Terminal and Macau Peninsula Ferry Terminal. Make sure you buy a ticket to the right terminal, either you go to Taipa or Macau Peninsula. I went with TurboJet to the Macau Peninsula Ferry terminal that runs the red boats. Note that the blue boats go to Taipa Island.
- The ferries goes several times a day to Macau, usually once every hour during the daytime and in the evenings it can go up to 5 ferries per hour back to Hong Kong.
- The ticket to Macau cost 171 Hong Kong dollars and on the way back the ticket cost 200 Hong Kong dollars (around 40 Euro). Please note that the cost of the tickets are different depending on what time you want to go.
- You can pay with either cash or credit card at the terminal.
- When you buy a return ticket from Macau back to Hong Kong, you must already decide in advance what time you want to go back so you have a booked seat in the system. You can always choose an earlier departure when you are in Macau, if you want to go back to Hong Kong earlier, that is no problem but then you will be in a standby queue.
- You must have your passport with you to buy a ferry ticket!! You will pass immigration when you arrive in Macau, as well as when you travel back to Hong Kong. In addition, the staff want to see that you have your passport with you already when you buy your ferry ticket, otherwise you will not be able to buy a ticket.
- You have to fill out a arrival and departure card together with your passport for the immigration.
MACAU TRAVEL TIPS:
- As a Swedish citizen, you don’t need a visa, just your passport!
- You can go by bus, taxi or walk from the ferry terminal when you arrive in Macau. It is a nice walk into the town which takes about 30 minutes to walk.
- Macau money differs from Hong Kong dollars, but it’s fine to pay with Hong Kong dollars on Starbucks, for example, but if you want to play at Casino you need to exchange to Macau money or withdraw money from an ATM machine.
- Uber works fine in Macau, if you don’t have Macau money for a regular taxi, but I recommend walking to Macau city from the ferry terminal and then maybe take a taxi back if you don’t stay overnight in Macau.